Event Planning Specialist
Company: Wounded Warrior Project
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Great benefits. Competitive pay. We know these are some of the
things people look for in a job.But if you're the kind of person
who also cares about making an impact and serving our nation's
wounded warriors and their families, then you're exactly the kind
of person we're looking for. When you join Wounded Warrior Project,
you're committing to making a difference. We make a commitment to
you too - helping you to find that spark, ignite your passion to
serve, and embark on a career with meaning and purpose.At Wounded
Warrior Project we recognize our mission cannot be accomplished
without our talented teammates, which is why we're proud to offer
benefits such as:
- A flexible hybrid work schedule (3 days in office, 2 days' work
- Full medical, dental and vision coverage for both teammates AND
- Competitive pay and performance incentives
- A fun, mission focused and collaborative team environmentA
mission that matters is just the beginning, so if you're ready to
get started, we're ready for you.The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP)
Event Planning Specialist supports WWP Programs meetings and event
planning for warriors and staff, including planning the logistics
for the events, administering details, and providing onsite
support, and identifying pursuing cost savings to maximize donor
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support WWP Programs team with meeting and events logistics for
warriors and staff, including site selection, rate negotiation,
catering, and assisting with on-site event support.
- Negotiate rates with vendors, including with hotels, ground
transportation, and audio-visual companies.
- Create event menus and negotiate pricing and contract details
with catering companies.
- Identify cost savings to maximize donor dollars. Utilize
expense controls and identify cost saving opportunities to manage
- Build out timelines, agendas, and activities.
- Utilize registration software to source venues, monitor event
registration, manage budgets, and generate reports, e.g., Cvent and
- Facilitate communications among Travel & Events and other WWP
teammates and departments. Collaborate with registration and travel
- Manage and prioritize multiple events. Adapt to challenging or
difficult situations by promptly identifying alternatives and
changing procedures, methods, and processes.
- Participate in events and meetings marketing as
- Perform recordkeeping tasks using registration software e.g.,
- Perform financial reconciliations for events, Process invoices,
receipts, reconcile billing and verify with accounting. Prepare
comprehensive and readable financial reports.
- Conduct contract and invoice reviews for identified events,
e.g., tax exemption and banquet event orders (BEO).
- Perform event close-outs with detailed summaries, including
budget reviews with internal teammates, distribution of surveys for
feedback, and future improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of event management. Demonstrated ability to
manage events of varying complexity.
- Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to
effectively manage multiple priorities, prioritize tasks, and work
well under pressure. Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated
ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and meet
- Ability to interact with diverse team members, leadership, and
external vendors, and build effective working relationships. Team
player, with ability to respond with flexibility and
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to interact
effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working
relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to
respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional presence and demeanor. Demonstrated skill and ease
speaking in public and serving as a representative for the
- Demonstrated attention to detail and levels of accuracy.
- Good computer skills. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and
business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work
- Three years of experience working in events or meetings
planning, or in a hospitality environment.
- One year of experience negotiating contracts.Preferences
- Three years of experience in event planning in a corporate or
non-profit environment, or in a college or university.
- One year of experience using registration software, e.g.,
- One year of experience working in a non-profit
- Bachelor's degree in event planning, hospitality, or relevant
field. Equivalent combination of relevant experience, education,
training, and certification may be considered in lieu of
- None.CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURERequirements
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP).WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL
- General office environment, temperature controlled.
- Up to 10% travel.We recognize the success of our mission
depends on the efforts of our passionate, hard-working teammates.
To help teammates remain focused on the warriors and families we
serve, WWP offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical/Prescription drug, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D,
Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, and an Employee
Assistance Program. WWP also offers a 401(k) retirement plan, a
competitive PTO package, Sick Leave, Family Care Leave, Paid
Holidays, Birthday Holiday, Education Assistance, and Bereavement
Leave.For Colorado Applicants: The estimated hiring range for this
position is between $51,200 - $76,800 annual base salary,subject to
a candidate's combination of experience, qualifications, and
credentials. This position may also be eligible for an annual
performance incentive.For California, and Washington Applicants:
The estimated hiring range for this position is between $58,880 -
$88,320 annual base salary,subject to a candidate's combination of
experience, qualifications, and credentials. This position may also
be eligible for an annual performance incentive.
*ca-agWounded Warrior Project is an equal opportunity employer
committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons
without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship,
age, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law.Please note:
Wounded Warrior Project is not seeking assistance or accepting
unsolicited resumes from search firms without a written search
agreement in place. All resumes submitted by search firms to any
employee at Wounded Warrior Project via email, the Internet or
directly to hiring managers at Wounded Warrior Project in any form
without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed
the sole property of Wounded Warrior Project, and no fee will be
paid in the event the candidate is hired by Wounded Warrior Project
as a result of the referral or through other means."
Keywords: Wounded Warrior Project, Colorado Springs , Event Planning Specialist, Other , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!