Principal Data Scientist
Company: Verizon Communications
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: January 10, 2022
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology
and communications services, transforming the way we connect across
the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared
ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to
learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create
within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and
you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here. What you'll be
doing... The Artificial Intelligence & Data (AI&D) Organization
is an exciting new center of excellence supporting all of Verizon,
reporting into the Global Network & Technology (GN&T) team. Our
team will be a catalyst to Verizon's future in creating networks
that move the world forward through the power of artificial
intelligence and data. In this role you'll buildtools, analyze, and
provide insights that inform, quantify, and enable the
visualization of data to drive business decisions for all of
Verizon's networks. With your analytical, big data, and reporting
expertise, you'll deliver business value through business
intelligence reporting and analytics by driving insights to
actions. One way you will accomplish this is by developing
analytical views of data utilizing various BI tools such as
Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, and web-based applications. You'll also
connect various data locations to stage data before visualizations.
The business insights and recommendations you provide will help to
improve performance. You will work with a team to create the
artificial intelligence roadmap for GN&T Planning and
Engineering, as well as implementing and delivering use cases.
You'll partner with and leverage the strength of our internal Data
Science center as well as with vendor partners. You'll lead data
science projects that drive digital sales and service, product
recommendation and personalization, marketing effectiveness,
channel optimization, better customer experiences, and operational
efficiency. You'll work closely with a team of data scientists, big
data engineers, and software developers and will play a key role in
developing and delivering the next generation artificial
intelligence/machine learning solutions that generate substantial
value for the business. You'll manage a pipeline of AI use cases
from ideation to implementation.
- Acting as a thought leader and forward-leaning partner with
your business team to shape, prioritize, and deliver strategy for
the business unit across data governance, data architecture, and
- Partnering with the business to ensure our organization's
strategy is aligned and supportive of wider business unit strategic
- Partnering with technology, security, legal, and privacy to
ensure a strategy for the business is also defined in the context
of the overall group strategy.
- Designing, developing, implementing, and overseeing high-end
analytical/technology processes and solutions with a focus on
leveraging advanced machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Performing ad-hoc analyses and developing reproducible
analytical approaches to meet business requirements.
- Performing exploratory and targeted data analyses using
descriptive statistics and other methods.
- Presenting results and recommendations to senior management and
- Strategizing, coordinating, detailing, resource planning and
defining scope on multiple projects with evolving timelines in
various stages of completion.
- Leading collaboration with business leads and IT to execute all
visual design phases from concept and requirements to final
hand-off to business unit end-users.
- Conducting and ensuring user acceptance testing with IT for
database and applications prior to production release to include
software testing, quality assurance, and solution certification and
- Establishing and promoting our brand standards and best
practices and across business units and IT.
- Detailing and demonstrating solutions by developing wireframes,
production documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts,
- Reviewing existing visualizations to assess existing
opportunities for improvement within the business and to drive an
outstanding User Interface solution. Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes
work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager. What
we're looking for... You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in applying statistical ideas and methods to data
sets to answer business problems.
- Experience with Python, Spark, and SQL to manipulate data and
draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience with developing insights, presenting, and
influencing strategic decisions using data. Even better if you
- MBA or Master's degree in statistics, mathematics, analytics,
engineering, computer science, or another technical and/or
- Experience with Big Data architecture and mining for insights
across various data sources.
- Experience using ETL (extract, transform, load) tools and
experience with large data sets to find opportunities for product
and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness
of different courses of action.
- Knowledge of data warehouse and data lake technology (Teradata,
Hadoop, No SQL, graph DB).
- Solid understanding of 4GLTE/5G Technologies, IP Networking,
RF/SP engineering tools / principles.
- Technical knowledge of improving system performance, capacity,
reliability and scalability of the network.
- Knowledge of existing network processes from plan, build, and
operate (e.g., supply chain, real estate).
- The ability to analyze complex data sets, draw conclusions and
relationships and develop actionable recommendations including
presenting to senior FP&A leadership.
- The ability to effectively communicate actionable insights to
category leads supporting their goals and objectives.
- The ability to prepare executive-level presentations to clearly
articulate results of complex mathematical analysis through
strategic storytelling. Compensation Our benefits are designed to
help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life
outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term
incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid
time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition
assistance, plus other incentives,we've got you covered with our
award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage
will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits
depending on your individual circumstances. If you are hired into a
Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is
between $106,000 and $197,000 -based on a full-time schedule. The
salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed
job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive -based
position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your
compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours. We're proud to
be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees'
differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and
Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us
stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive
environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of
belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and
empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check
out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more. Verizon
requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon
provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal
requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Our credo is
at the core of the
V team culture.
Keywords: Verizon Communications, Colorado Springs , Principal Data Scientist, Other , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!