Analytical Research Chemist (Micronutrients) - Global Analytical and Food Safety - Nutrition - Columbus, OH
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.
Analytical Research Chemist (Micronutrients) - Global Analytical
and Food Safety
Our nutrition business develops science-based nutritional
products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children
grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people
around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac,
PediaSure, Pedialyte, Ensure, Glucerna and ZonePerfect - to help
get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest lives.
Our location in Columbus, OH, currently has an opportunity for a
Analytical Research Chemist with expertise in vitamin chemistry and
analytical test methods for vitamins. In Research & Development,
our ambition is providing innovative high-quality products,
creating sustainable value, delivering superior user experience and
enhancing health outcomes at all stages of life.
Primary Job Function:
Serves as scientific leader and subject matter expert for
vitamin chemistry and analytical determination of vitamins and
other nutrients in nutritional products and ingredients.
Responsible for developing, validating, transferring, and
maintaining analytical test methods to drive innovation and new
product development, support routine quality assurance, and
investigate out-of-specification events. Also, responsible for
setup, validation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of
analytical instruments and associated software/firmware. Works
closely with Platform Science and Product Development to support
basic scientific research and new ingredient technologies and
product formulations. Supports routine nutrient testing, research
projects, and method validation to assure product quality as well
as play a key role in global projects. Also, supports Quality
Assurance with investigating and resolving out-of-specification
results at Abbott plant labs and third-party labs around the
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Strategy: Defines project goals milestones; responsible for
timely project completion. Designs experiments and documentation
- Strategy: Drives business strategy through scientific
partnership. Translates strategic needs of the Division into
executable programs and projects (Identifies strategic
needs/benefits for the business portfolio + Develops expertise in
strategic areas + Contributes to the generation of new product
ideas consistent with Division strategy).
- Quality of Work: Responsible for documentation and accuracy,
quality, and timeliness of experimental results.
- Quality of Work: Reads, understands, and complies with all
applicable Division, area, and group-specific safety and employee
health procedures. Complies with all applicable quality
- Work Performance: Successfully summarizes data and analyzes
results; formulates conclusions and determines future experiments.
May coordinate routine maintenance, lab safety, ISO 17025, GMP
implementation as appropriate. Assumes roles of responsibility,
such as training or document control. Completes documentation of
experiments in laboratory notebook. Primary contribution to project
reports that summarize results, conclusions, and recommendations as
- Work Performance: Designs, conducts and leads advanced
independent or multidisciplinary research driven by strategic
business needs. Responsible for the accuracy, quality, and
timeliness of experimental results.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Acts as lead analytical scientist, subject matter expert,
project leader, or project contributor for vitamins and other
- Develops, validates, transfers, and troubleshoots analytical
test methods for vitamins and other nutrients in nutritional
products and ingredients.
- Sets up, operates, maintains, and troubleshoots analytical
instruments and software. Validates instrument and
software/firmware installations and operational
- Maintains lab space and ensures compliance with standard
operating procedures and safety requirements.
- Conceives, plans, designs, conducts and applies advanced
research/scientific direction/scientific leadership in increasing
complexity. May establish research strategy.
- Independently designs and analyzes results from multiple
experiments, formulates conclusions, and designs future
- Provides scientific/technical consultation to other scientists
and business units internally, including method and testing support
to global plant and R&D analytical labs; Product Development;
Quality Assurance; and Regulatory Affairs.
- Provides scientific/technical support and consultation to
external third-party labs and manufacturers.
- Writes technical reports, method and other documents, and
manuscripts for publication.
- Communicates top-line review of experimental results to large
and diverse groups both internally and externally. Regularly
communicates project status to management and provides managers
with periodic reports summarizing activities and progress within
area of responsibility.
- Presents work externally at technical meetings and conferences
and serves on technical working groups and committees in analytical
standards setting organizations (e.g. AOAC International)
- May supervise technical personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU'LL BRING
Ph.D. in chemistry, analytical chemistry, or related field with
3+ years of experience in research or industry laboratory or BS/MS
with 16+ years of experience.
- Strong understanding of vitamin chemistry and hands-on
experience with analytical test methods for vitamins.
- Strong understanding of separation science, including normal-,
reverse-phase, and ion-exchange chromatography.
- Ability to setup, validate, operate, maintain, and troubleshoot
analytical instruments, including but not limited to
high-performance and ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography;
ion chromatography; and UV/Vis, fluorescence, evaporative light
scattering, and mass spectrometric detectors.
- Practical experience with sample preparation techniques,
including but not limited to liquid-liquid and solid-phase
extraction; experience with milk-based systems and liquid and spray
dried formulations preferred.
- Ability to independently develop and validate analytical test
methods from beginning to end, including designing and executing
experiments and interpreting outcomes; designing and executing
validation protocols; leading single- and multi-lab validations;
validating and leading method transfers to other lab
- Ability to independently summarize data and analyze results;
formulate conclusions and review progress with
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including
experience writing technical reports, test method documents, and
manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- Ability to apply descriptive and differential statistics to
interpreting analytical test results.
- Good understanding of relationship between product
specifications and test method accuracy and precision.
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and resolve problems,
particularly out-of-specification results.
- Familiarity with AOAC International, ISO, and USP standards
WHAT WE OFFER
- At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life
to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse
opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength
to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
committed to employee diversity. Connect with us at www.abbott.com,
on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Colorado Springs , Analytical Research Chemist (Micronutrients) - Global Analytical and Food Safety - Nutrition - Columbus, OH, Other , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!