IT Linux Systems Engineer
Company: Agilent Technologies
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: October 13, 2019
We're looking for future IT leaders to join our data center campus
in Colorado Springs, CO. We operate in fast-paced, global teams of
internal professionals and external consultants where everyone is
focused on results with uncompromising integrity. You'll be
challenged and motivated, but most of all, your enthusiasm and your
creativity will inspire us to consider new ideas and elevate our IT
standards. Your unique combination of technical acumen,
interpersonal skills and excellent communications will propel you
to influential roles that shape the future of Agilent's world class
The successful candidate for the position will manage the delivery
of information technology services and lead key organizational
processes to meet business needs. The server landscape includes
over 3000 servers (about 80% virtualized) running primarily
Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and IBM AIX - all
integrating with NetApp, EMC or local disk storage. These servers
are hosting database technologies like Oracle, MS SQL Server,
Postgres & MySQL. Working with other teams around the world, you
will identify, qualify, recommend and support server requirements.
You will also manage end-to-end monitoring strategy for these
servers that focuses on availability, performance, quality and
business outcomes. The successful candidate will have the
opportunity to research, develop, test, document, deploy and
maintain all aspects of private & public cloud technologies.
Here is what you'll get to do related to servers:
* Coordinate IT operations of the Unix server environment
(patching, upgrades, troubleshooting, downtime planning, etc.)
between end-users and IT administrators.
* Manage major versions of RHEL 5, 6, 7, 8; Oracle Linux, AIX
* Assist with cloud operational and security support and
* Automate platform operations using modern software development
and systems management methodologies.
* Work with tools to automate critical aspects of systems and
services, configuration management (Chef).
* Work with teams to develop and maintain robust problem handling
for operational support.
* Ensure infrastructure is used efficiently and effectively & bring
innovative ideas to improve uptime, operations, performance &
* Drive productivity improvements in our server environment while
maintaining business continuity & performance
* Oversee a technical team of administrators responsible for
day-to-day server operations
* Ensure compliance standards, policies & regulations (e.g.
architecture, security, SOX, FDA, PII, Privileged Access
* Provide guidance in the creation and modification of standards
* Be an advocate for existing standards, policies and procedures
while pushing for innovation & improvements
* Develop reports for senior management and key stakeholders
* Lead and coordinate development of periodic upgrades to the
server systems which may also include migration to the public
* Provide guidance for ongoing corrective and preventative
maintenance to improve reliability and availability of the
Bachelor or Masters Degree in Computer Information Systems,
Computer Science, Information Technology or MIS (or related
4-5 years of in-depth knowledge of:
* Experience with Linux, HP-UX and AIX Server including clustering,
patching, monitoring, backup, security
* Oracle, IBM & Red Hat Virtualization
* Experience with Cisco UCS, Dell and HCI hardware
* Experience with patching strategies and tools such as Ivanti &
* Knowledge of IT Security industry best practices
Puppet, ruby, etc.)
* Knowledge of DevOps concepts, configuration management and/or
infrastructure as code s using a continuous delivery pipeline like
Jenkins, Bamboo, Chef Automate is a major plus
* Experience/knowledge with Public Clouds (AWS, Azure) and Cloud
Management Platforms (RedHat Cloud Forms, CloudBolt, RightScale,
Scalr, Embotics vCommander, etc.) a plus
* Experience with version control (Git and Bitbucket) a plus
* Must be able to work globally with a team of subject matter
experts who direct activities of an outsourced support team in day
to day incident management as well as day to day maintenance
activities and projects.
* Able to assist in managing/driving resolution of incidents
impacting the Critical Production Environment.
* Must be willing to adjust hours of availability according to
Agilent priorities to address matters of urgency that occur during
non-standard working hours; occasional week-end and holiday
coverage will be required.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Good analytical and organizational skills with the ability to
work independently in a fast-paced, results driven environment.
Agilent Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer. We value diversity at all levels. All
individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged
to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to sex, pregnancy, race, religion or
religious creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic
partner status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran
status, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by
federal, state, local law, ordinance, or regulation and will not be
discriminated against on these bases.
Agilent Technologies, Inc., is committed to diversity in the
workplace and strives to support candidates with disabilities. If
you have a disability and need assistance with any part of the
application or interview process or have questions about workplace
accessibility, please contact +1-262-754-5030 email
email@example.com. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual
For more information about equal employment opportunity
protections, please see all of our notices for EEO below.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected
Keywords: Agilent Technologies, Colorado Springs , IT Linux Systems Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!