Medical Assistant II
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: February 21, 2021
Overview:Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures
under the direction and supervision of a clinician, RN, or LVN to
ensure safe and appropriate patient care; assists the clinician
with minor surgical procedures; performs a broad spectrum of
clerical and administrative duties related to the delivery of
patient care assistanceEssential functions:
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate--Optum Medical Group's --commitment to superior
customer service, including quality, care, and concern with
internal and external customers
- Uses, protects, and discloses--Optum Medical Group--patients'
protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Anticipates the clinician's needs and carries out orders
- Checks for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from
waiting area to exam rooms. Escorts patients to ancillary services
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent
patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs various procedures such as injections, peak flows,
pulse oximetry, urine pregnancy tests, urine dips
- --Processes lab specimens (i.e., 24 hour urine,-- biopsy
specimens obtained by clinician, etc.) and maintains lab specimen
logs as appropriate.
- Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears,-- other minor
surgical procedures) and may assists with more complex department
specific specialty procedures (i.e. Colpos, Leeps, biopsies,
pessary fittings, etc.)
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and
documents administration of medications and procedures. Ensures
proper documentation of medication administration and documentation
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas, specimen processing
areas, and medical equipment. Transports dirty equipment, performs
autoclaving and cold sterilization, and maintains autoclave, cidex,
and A-test logs. Cleans and stocks exam rooms, treatment/procedure
rooms, specimen processing areas, and nursing stations.
- Maintains various logs and tickler files and ensures--negative
lab results--are seen by clinician.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other
procedure/testing preparations. Participates in visit closure with
patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, x-ray,
ultrasound, MFM, delivery, surgery.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information
between site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care
Centers, and ancillary testing facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
Participates in scheduling specialty procedures (biopsies, minor
- Tracks specialty procedures/patient volume on a daily basis
- Verifies with--Optum Medical--Group--for approved or denied
appointments and follows up by scheduling patients. Enters "No
shows", and performs "No Show" follow up procedures. Works bump
list. Calls No Show patients to reschedule appts.--
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (FMLA,
- Updates patient demographic information.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls. Calls
patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test
- Handles prescription refills as appropriate.
- Completes Patient Communication form and responds to patient
complaints when necessary.
- Assists with patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external
site audits from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Participates regularly in skills competency evaluations.
Participates regularly in site staff and department meetings.
- Cross-trains for other providers, locations, and Clincal Care
- May assist with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs,
senior Olympics, and other events).
- Maintains an independent patient schedule under the direct
supervision of a clinician
- Identifies and resolves daily department issues and concerns
and escalates to--on site lead or manager --when necessary.
- Participates in the development of department policies and
- Minimum: 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree
from a two-year college.
- Minimum: Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant
- Minimum: Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers" (AHA) or
"CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer" (American Red Cross).
- Preferred:--Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)
- Minimum: Up to and including one year of experience.
- Preferred: 1 year of previous Medical Assistant work experience
in OB/GYN setting
- Preferred: Over 1 year of experience in a specialty
field.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
- Computer literate (i.e., logging on to computer, usage of
keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability
to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.Optum Medical
Group--is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As
such,--Optum Medical Group makes hiring decisions solely on the
basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to age,
race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation,
national origin, disability or protected veteran status.We maintain
a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse
testing and background verification checks.Optum Medical
Group--will consider qualified applicants who have criminal
histories in a manner consistent with the law.For Colorado
Residents Only: The hourly range for Colorado residents is $15.50
to 22.00/hour. This position is eligible for a $2,000 sign-on
bonus. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to
education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to
your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a
comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs,
equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are based
on eligibility). No matter where or when you begin a career with
UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits
Keywords: Optum, Colorado Springs , Medical Assistant II, Healthcare , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!