Assistant Director of Communications
Company: University of Colorado
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: November 22, 2021
The Assistant Director of University Communications reports to
the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Marketing and Communications. The
department's goal is to promote and enhance the reputation of UCCS
to its audiences, both internal and external.
Communication Strategy: The Assistant Director of University
Communications is responsible for setting and directing the
communication strategy for campus communication, aligning
consistent, on-brand messages through marketing, PR, web, internal
communications and social media.
External Communication: The Assistant Director serves as the
university's official communication link to local, regional and
national media. In this role, this individual oversees all
proactive and reactive media relations. In many cases, the
Assistant Director of Communications serves as the official
university spokesperson. In other cases, the Assistant Director
actively collaborates with faculty to publicize their work at the
university or to link media members in search of faculty expertise.
The Assistant Director oversees the staff member in charge of the
university's social media strategy.
Internal Communication: The Assistant Director is responsible for
official campus communication channels, such as the regular
e-newsletters, communication from campus leadership and campus
Who We Are:
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four
campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over
9,500 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students.
Colorado Springs (pop. 450K+) is situated at the base of Pikes
Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was
recently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top Best
Places to Live in the U.S.
- Develop and implement strategic internal communication vehicles
that inform and engage employees
- Lead internal communication efforts including producing,
assigning and editing regular communications
- Work with internal stakeholders to coordinate messaging, both
internally and externally
- Support university-wide communications needs, including writing
and editing materials in collaboration with colleagues in
- Work closely with colleagues in the department to ensure
consistency between internal and external messaging
- Support the development of special events, programs, award
entries and announcements
- Cultivate positive relations with members of the news media and
provide quality service in response to their inquiries
- Serve as spokesperson for the University of Colorado Colorado
Springs and lead media relations efforts
- Develop (or oversee development of) media tools such as press
releases, fact sheets, talking points and media kits
- Direct, plan, execute and measure media relations strategies
that align with University goals for reputation, recruitment,
retention, development, and financial stability. This includes
maintenance of editorial calendars and media contact lists for each
campus market and archival and reporting of all University news
Leadership and Supervision
- Define measurement for communications and brand awareness
including key performance measures to gauge reach and effectiveness
of communications strategies
- Coordinate crisis communications response and work with other
PIOs in the region to build relationships for a crisis
- Management of department budget
- Represent UCCS at appropriate CU meetings
- Play a leadership role on the University Communications team,
contributing to the division's broader strategies and goals
- Lead team members in the contribution to University goals and
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Creating and implementing organization-wide communication
- Ability to provide advice and counsel to leadership
- Ability to prioritize and successfully manage numerous tasks at
- Experience with troubleshooting issues and recommending
- Understanding of media relations and a proven track record of
media relations success
- Effective leadership and management skills
- Ability to create and execute reporting duties involving
metrics and KPIs that align with strategic mission, vision, values
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to meet competing deadlines
- Superior customer service skills
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime
provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This position is
required to physically work on campus regularly so this position is
not one that can be done completely remote.
What We Offer:
Salary Range: Generally starting at $56,834 - $78,392
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set
based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to,
internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including
medical, dental, retirement, paid vacation and time off, and a
tuition benefit. Information on university benefits programs,
including eligibility, is located at . Total compensation goes
beyond the value on the paycheck. Please consider reviewing the
Total Compensation page at Total Compensation Calculators -
University of Colorado
Tentative Search Timeline:
- The potential dates for interviews with the search committee
will be the week of November 1, 2021.
- The potential dates for interviews with the supervisor and
appointing authority will be the week of November 8, 2021.
- The potential employee start date is December 1, 2021.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is committed to
providing a safe and productive learning, living and working
community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background
investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for
employment. Background investigations include a criminal history
record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor
vehicle history check.
UCCS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In
compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its
commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces
diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender,
disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation
or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including
employment, admissions, and educational programs. Alternative
formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals
with disabilities by contacting the Office of Human Resources at
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each of the established essential functions and meet the
physical and environment demands described satisfactorily. The
requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill,
ability, physical and environmental conditions required of the
employee on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions, physical and environmental demands.
Applicants with disabilities: If you have a mental or physical
impairment, which limits one of your major life activities (e.g.
walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning) and
require special accommodations for testing or interviewing, it is
your responsibility to notify the office scheduling the interview
or test at least 3 working days before the interview or test date.
If you need special accommodations at the work site, you must
notify the appointing authority or Human Resources.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification
of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by
the end of the third day of work.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public
relations, marketing or related field
- 4 or more years of full-time, professional job-related
- Minimum of 1 year experience with media relations and crisis
- Master's degree in communications, journalism, public
relations, marketing or related field
- Internal communications experience
- University experience
- PR experience working with Colorado Springs media
- Experience supervising staff.
- Accreditation through PRSA or IABC
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to sit. Employee is occasionally required to move. Tasks
may involve using a computer screen continuously for long periods
of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10
Keywords: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs , Assistant Director of Communications, Executive , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!