Director, Business Risk and Controls
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: October 14, 2020
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Director
Business Risk and Controls for the San Antonio Home Office,
Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Tampa, Plano or 100% Remote Work from
Oversees a team responsible for the development, implementation and
oversight of programs that support effective risk and compliance
management in the first line of defense. Supports business leader
adherence to the established risk framework and ongoing supervision
of business controls and is accountable for the development and
mentoring of a high performing team responsible for risk and
control self-assessments, identifying control failures,
facilitating risk and compliance remediation, internal and external
audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring the of first line of
defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the
overall control environment.Job RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows
what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of
millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular
mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every
level.In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune
100 Best Companies to Work For-, and we've ranked among Victory
Media's Top 10 Military Friendly- Employers 13 years straight. We
embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and
veteran spouses-to apply. (17 seconds) (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.-
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.-
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk and control
management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight,
risk infrastructure development, risk identification,
quantification, aggregation, and emerging risks.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk and internal
control professionals through recruitment, training, coaching,
performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external
clients regarding budget and implementation deliverables and risk
mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the
identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls,
including risks associated with new or modified products, services,
distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of
governance policies and procedures in partnership with senior
leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best
practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management
issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on
their impact to USAA's risk profile.
- Educates risk owners on risk/control best practices and may
work with other lines of defense in the development and
implementation of controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal
loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify,
validate, and manage emerging risk exposures, as necessary.
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by
establishing and monitoring key performance and risk
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and
may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory
bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.Minimum Education:
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience
beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
activities in a financial services operating environment or other
relevant industry. -
- Or 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative
- Or advanced degree or designation in a risk management or
quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk
and/or compliance related activities.
- Or PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4
years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
- 3 years of direct team lead or people management
experience.*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job
level*When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions.- This will take approximately 5
minutes.- Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your
- 3+ years of Internal Audit and/or Control Testing
- Expertise in crafting and building new team structure.
- Large Financial Institution or Financial Operations
- Proven ability to communicate effectively across the Lines of
Defense and build collaborative relationships.
- Experience in creating materials for executive
- Proven ability to effectively assess process, risk and
controls, identify emerging risks and issues, analyze risk data and
trends, and communicate in a concise and comprehensive manner to
multiple stakeholders across the organization.
- Experience in a highly dynamic environment undergoing change;
ability to partner & consult effectively at all levels of the
organization in a highly complex business environment, dealing with
- Proven track record of influencing; leading broad and complex
programs across a matrix organization through successful
implementation execution.The above description reflects the details
considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job
and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the
work requirements that may be performed in the job.At USAA our
employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business,
including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment,
comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness
and wealth building programs.- Additionally, our career path
planning and continuing education will assist you with your
professional goals.Relocation assistance is not available for this
position.For Internal Candidates:Must complete 12 months in current
position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have
manager's approval prior to posting.Last day for internal
candidates to apply to the opening is 10/12/20 by 11:59 pm CST
Keywords: USAA, Colorado Springs , Director, Business Risk and Controls, Executive , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!