Space Optical Engineer
Company: Modern Technology Solutions, Inc.
Location: Colorado Springs
Posted on: June 21, 2022
Position Overview:Modern Technology Solutions, Inc (MTSI) is
seeking an Space Optical Engineer to fill a SETA (Systems
Engineering and Technical Assistance) position with the Space
Development Agency (SDA). SDA is breaking the norms of the DoD
acquisition cycle, delivering a new tranche of hundreds of
satellites every two years and providing the backbone of future
space communications through optical communications links. The
Optical Engineer will support SDA as it establishes the market and
drives the technology for cutting-edge space-based optical
communications terminals (OCTs), including development of new OCT
technology, pointing, acquisition, and tracking procedures, cyber
protection of OCTs, and optical system evaluation and testing. This
position will be part of a team of MTSI personnel providing SETA
support. - A significant portion of the work may be done from home
or remote, and occasional travel may be required. - -Travel to the
vendor locations will be required. -At MTSI, our more than 1,400+
co-owners recognize the high demand for specialized professionals
within our industry and that you have many options to choose. - As
an employee owned company where culture matters, we believe that by
investing in our people we are investing in our company's future! -
MTSI's core capabilities are Systems Engineering and Integration,
Modeling and Simulation, Test and Evaluation, Acquisition and
Program Support, and Mission Assurance services. Our expertise
includes ballistic missile defense, air defense, air vehicle
survivability, unmanned aircraft, flight test operations,
intelligence support, and cyber/space/homeland defense.
Recognized as an "employee comes first" company with over 28 years
of consecutive growth we challenge our co-owners to provide the
highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of
the best benefits in the industry. - Day one all new co-workers
start accruing PTO at a rate of 20 days, 6% 401k match with
immediate vesting, semi-annual bonuses, and eligibility to
participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). -We offer
other employee focused benefits, including up to $10k in tuition
reimbursement and an optional zero dollar deductible BCBS health
insurance plan. -For additional company information, please
As a Space Optical Engineer with MTSI, you will apply knowledge and
expertise to perform design and technical engineering support and
analysis of optical communications terminals. A significant portion
of the work may be done from home or remote. - Travel to vendor
locations will be required. -Your essential job functions will
include but may not be limited to:
- Developing the optical communications roadmap for SDA,
evaluating the current state of the technology and predicting
Developing pointing, acquisition, and tracking procedures to enable
interoperability between multiple OCT vendors.
- Assessing the current state of cyber protections for OCTs and
develop novel approaches to securing optical communications.
- Developing procedures and methods to test new optical systems
for compatiblity with SDA's requirements.
- Identifying new and cutting edge optical communications
technologies and support the development of these technlogies to
increase bandwidth and data rate of SDA's communication satellites
within the small form factor.
- Developing solicitations for SBIR and other contract vehicles
to enable the development of these new technologies and assist in
managing the awarded programs.
- 10+ years of experience with a Master's degree, or 5+ years of
experience with a PhD, in the design, development, and/or
implementation of optical communications systems.
- Directly applicable experience in engineering research and
development of optical communications systems, including knowledge
of current state fo the art in relevant space vehicle systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas pertaining to
- requirements analysis and design.
- mission level and engineering/physics-based design.
- communication systems and architecture analysis.
- EO/IR sensor research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic
- Strong oral and written communication skills.Preferred/Desired
Experience:5+ years' experience in the DoD or Intelligence
Community.Experience supporting optical systems on space-based
platforms.Education Requirements: -
- Master's degree in optical sciences or a closely related field
from an accredited university.
- PhD in optical sciences or a closely related field from an
accredited univerity, (DESIRED).Clearance Requirements:
- Active SECRET clearance to start, with SCI Eligibility.
- Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance (Desired).
- U.S. Citizenship is required for this
Keywords: Modern Technology Solutions, Inc., Colorado Springs , Space Optical Engineer, Engineering , Colorado Springs, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!